10 Best Ollydbg(32 & 64 bit) alternatives for Windows, Android, Mac & Linux
Olly Debugger is one of the most used Ring 3 debuggers for 32bit programs for Microsoft® Windows®. It is a dynamic debugger that enables the user to change the source code while the program is running. Ollydbg was created by Oleh Yuschuk & its last stable release was in 2013, so it is quite old & it does not run effectively on 64-bit machines and is limited to Microsoft Windows only.
- Shareware but FREE to use.
- Very Powerful dynamic debugger.
- Easy to use for beginners.
- Allows you to load and debug DLLs directly.
- A lot of Plugins & Scripts available.
- Works for Microsoft® Windows® only.
- Meant only for 32-bit software.
- It is not generally used for static debugging.
10 alternatives for Olly Debugger
IDA(Interactive DisAssembler) is by a company called Hex-Rays®. Compared to ollydbg & x64dbg, which are dynamic, IDA is used for static evaluation. IDA is a VERY powerful & Cross-platform disassembler. This is a must for professional debugging. The main disadvantage is that it’s not free, but that it’s VERY expensive.
- VERY powerful Disassembler.
- Fully supports platforms like Windows, Mac OS X, Linux & Android(recently started supporting it).
- It supports both x86 & x64 bit architecture.
- Contains built-in debuggers.
- Supports a vast number of processors & file formats.
- Very costly. (Although its free & limited version is available here).
- Not a beginner friendly user interface.
It is open source debugger developed by Mr. eXodia for both x86 & x64 type of files. x64dgb is a brand new debugger in the sector. It is a more likely 64-bit version of ollydbg and is a dynamic type debugger.
- Entirely free & open source.
- Supports both 32 & 64-bit files.
- User-friendly interface.
- Only meant for windows.
- A quite nascent tool as compared to others.
ALSO READ-: Click to view Beginner friendly x64dbg Reverse Engineering tutorial.
JEB Decompiler is developed by PNF Software. It is apk decompiler & disassembler i.e. it is meant for Android. It is a very powerful decompiler as compared to other alternatives. The only drawback is that it is pretty expensive.
- Very powerful android disassembler & decompiler.
- Reconstruct obfuscated XML files & resources.
- Using scripts process can be automated.
- Very costly.
- It is only meant for analyzing android files.
Binary Ninja is a relatively common static debugger used to analyze binary files. It has a friendly GUI and can also display binary control flow graphs. The Free(Demo) version of Binary Ninja can be downloaded here which is enough to get the feel of it. Its plugins can be founded on Github.
- Cross-platform support: Windows, Linux, and OS X.
- Price effective alternative to IDA Pro.
- Beautiful GUI.
- The free version has many restrictions like plugins, saving of database & support is not allowed.
- Its Full version is a bit expensive.
Hopper is a debugger + disassembler intended for Linux and Mac OS. It is a good alternative to Ollydbg. Hopper is capable of simultaneously displaying assembly code and pseudo code. However, its free demo version has constraints such as saving & exporting modified binaries are not allowed. Also in its demo version, each session is limited to 30 minutes only.
Immunity Debugger is a popular alternative of Ollydbg & Windbg. It has a command line as well as GUI based User Interface. It also supports Python scripting, hooks & graphs.
OllyPortable is a modification of Ollydbg done by Mr. eXodia to make it a portable version. You don’t need to install it on your PC. It works well on Windows XP & Windows 7(x64). You can download it by clicking here.
Radare is a portable reverse engineering framework which contains many different tools to assist in the process. It supports various operating systems like Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android, Solaris, etc. You can download its latest version by clicking here.
- It is a complete package for reverse engineering
- Supports almost all major OSes
- It is not generally suitable for absolute beginners
Windbg (also known as Windows Debugger) is Microsoft’s kernel mode debugger for Windows. It is a Kernel Mode, i.e. Ring 0 debugger that can be used to debug user mode programs or device drivers. It is cost-free compared to IDA Pro, which is very expensive. But, particularly for beginners, it’s not very user-friendly.
- Completely Free
- Powerful Kernel level debugger
- Not very user-friendly interface especially for newbies
- It only supports the Windows platform
- It is not a Ring 3 debugger so you cannot debug regular apps with it
Ghidra is one of the excellent alternatives to Ollydbg debugger. It is COMPLETELY FREE of cost and open source tool developed by the NSA. Ghidra is a potent tool written in Java and C++. It supports the following vital architectures:
- 32(x86) and 64 bit
- ARM and AARCH64
You can download Ghidra’s latest version here.
- Fully free & open source
- Supports both 32 & 64-bit files
- User-friendly interface
- Currently very new, compared to competitors
- Developed by NSA, so Blinkers ON
Wrapping it up!
I hope you find this list of reverse engineering tools useful. Here’s a quick recap of the:
- JEB Decompiler
- Hopper Disassembler
- Immunity Debugger
What’s your favorite ollydbg alternate? And want to share your experience or ask a question? Leave a comment below.
Thank you for reading till the end & have a beautiful day!