How to check Website Authenticity, Reputation & Safety
While surfing the internet, we often come across situations where we have uncertainty while visiting the site. Questions like these might start to pop out of your head – Is this website secure? Is this website real? Is this site legit? Or if this URL safe? Is this a scam site? And many more. In all these situations what you really concern about is- authenticity & reputation of that site or URL. Also, if you are an owner of some online business then you may be concerned about its reputation score from an SEO point of view. In this digital age, everything depends upon the online reputation of your digital product. Let’s see why a website reputation matters, how to check website reputation & various factors responsible for this.
Why website reputation matters?
- A good reputation means a good amount of traffic.
- By having a good reputation means people will share your content, services with others i.e social sharing.
- People are more likely to return back to your site & will be more interested in buying your product.
As an internet user, our main concern is whether the site or URL which we are going to visit is Malware FREE or not, or the site is spammy or not. The bad news is that you cannot tell if a particular site, URL or link is spammy, virus, malware-free just by looking at it, unless if you already had visited that site before. But the Good news is that there are many online website malware scanners, URL/IP Scanners to this job. Now let’s see what impact can a potentially dangerous site can have on your digital devices like computer, mobiles & tablets….
How bad sites can affect the users visiting it?
- Bad sites may contain malware, which can reduce your device’s performance in a drastic way.
- Non-reputed sites may load a code which can perform Cryptocurrency mining which is VERY common these days & this method is known as “Cryptojacing”. (You may be the victim if opening a certain site suddenly slows down the computer).
- Click to read more about Crytojacking and its prevention.
- Dangerous sites can steal your cookies, your PII (Personally Identifiable Information) which can to used to reset your Facebook or Gmail password. (Yes this is possible, that’s why never share any personal information with strangers online without any trust).
How to check Website Reputation?
The reputation of a website mainly depends upon these 3 major factors-:
- Popularity among people
- User experience
- Safety & security
If a website stands out on these factors then definitely it would be a well-reputed site. Let’s discuss these in details:
1)Popularity of the website
The reputation of a site is directly proportional to the popularity of website i.e more popular a website, highly reputed it would be. If you had heard or read about a website before then you are more likely to trust that site.
How to check the popularity of a website?
The popularity of the site depends on the number of page views, unique visitors & sessions. Following are few services which give a rough idea about these-:
2)User experience (UX)
User experience is one of the MOST important factors while deciding the reputation. UX means how a person feels while interacting with your website. Good user experience means better overall interaction between people with the site. Now Google also accounts UX while ranking the site.
Things that count for good user experience
- Elegant Site Design
- Beautiful & SEO optimized theme
- Organized content
- Fast website loading speed
3)How to check website security & safety?
- Check HTTPS-: More secure the website, more reputed it would be in the eyes of the people. HTTPS stands for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure and its meant to encrypt all the connections between the website and your browser, which keeps you safe from intruders & MITM(Man In The Middle) attacks. Secure websites are also favored by Google while ranking the site i.e more secure the site, higher the SEO.
- Malware & Spyware Free-: If a site contains Malware then people will think before visiting that website, blog or eCommerce Store. Now Google also penalizes the site if it is found to contain any malware or virus.
Online services to check if a website contains malware or not:
- Adware Free-: Its a FACT, no-one likes too many ads. If a site contains too many ads & unnecessary redirects, then definitely it would not be liked by users visiting the site.
Online services to check website reputation
The above-discussed factors will give you a much more accurate idea about judging a site’s reputation. As it covers almost all major factors from User experience to Safety & security of the website. There are also some online services which calculate website reputation using the above factors-:
In conclusion, I would like to say, if you focus on the quality of content, design(i.e user experience) and keep your digital product free from adware & malware, then you will automatically get traffic. Doing so, you will definitely have a well-reputed site.
Have a nice day!